Tuesday, March 17, 2009

U-U Mojo Card

DSCF3455

Unique and unusual--that's what I am calling this card!  I struggled with this Mojo Monday#78 sketch:

Mojo78Sketchit seemed easy enough, but I just couldn't find the right image to fit that long thin panel.  Of course, when you're stamping at 12:30 in the morning, how can you remember all the stamps you have anyway?!  But I wanted to use this beautiful (hoarded) DP and every stamp I had seemed to clash.  So I ditched all my stamps, I spied my (again, hoarded) new Chloe's Closet jumbo rhinestone stickers and thought of a way to incorporate them.

DSCF3454 First, I flipped the sketch because I didn't want to cover up those gorgeous flowers!  I decided to use vellum, again so that the images would show through.  I distressed the top two pieces of cardstock, which are both flip sides of each other (the name is long gone, sorry!) by rubbing my Creamy Caramel stamp pad over the texture of the CS.  The end of the strip of vellum was put through the new scallop oval punch and just the bottom edge was punched.  Here's a quick tutorial on how to do that, just in case you've never done it before:

Step 1

 

First, your paper has to be a little narrower than your punch opening.  Begin to slide it in.

 

Step 2

 

Gently lift up the edge and continue to pull it through all the way until you are almost at the end of the strip.

 

Step 3

 

Center the strip between the edges of the punch opening and carefully punch!  Only your end will be punched.

 

You can do this with the tag punch also, if you want a longer tag.

So, back to the card.  I stamped "inspire" from SU's retired Expressive Flexible Phrases and distressed it a little, then punched and mounted it on another piece of DP scrap, turning it at the same angle as the rhinestones.  My twill ribbon is also retired SU.  A fun card---not sure what I'll use it for, but it was nice just to stamp for fun!

  • Stamps:  Expressive Flexible Phrases, retired SU
  • Paper:  Cameo Coral, Vellum CS, Naturals Ivory, Fancypants DP, misc DP from my stash
  • Ink:  Kiwi Kiss, Creamy Caramel
  • Acc:  Chloe's Closet Brads, MM; Scallop Oval Punch, Square Punch, Dimensionals, Old Olive Twill, retired SU

14 comments:

Kay Kalthoff said...

What a gorgeous card, LeAnne! I love, love, love the bling and it goes PERFECTLY with your paper! Mojolicious!! TFS!
Kay

mudmaven said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors and the bling makes it all so elegant! Isn't vellum a wonderful thing when you have a gorgeous dp you don't want to cover up! ~chris

dpkennedy said...

OOh, it's gorgeous! I love those gems and the vellum! Great design!

Anonymous said...

Whenever I need to see beauty; I come here. Whenever I need an idea (that I'll never actually make); I come here. Whenever I need to feel inferior; I come here.

Wow. You're good for a LOT of things!!

Anonymous said...

WOWZER!! LeAnne, this is so stunning!! I really love your idea with the punch! TFS!

Anonymous said...

I had a hard time with that panel too!! Cute card :)

Juanita said...

Fabulous card, I love how you trimed the end of the vellum.

Unknown said...

What a really clever idea!!! TFS. Thanks for your comment on my blog. The image isn't from 100 Proof Press. I've tried finding the source, but I threw out the tag that came with it. Don't you hate it when that happens?! If I find out, I'll let you know! :)

Barbara said...

I am loving this card! LOVE those big ole jewels and the paper your used! Stunning card!!

Kathy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! :) Your card is beautiful! I love how you used your scallop punch.

Christy said...

I love the card and what a great tip for the edge :)

Terri Trotter Earley said...

Love the vellum and great tip with the scallop oval! Super job on the sketch.

It's a good life!
Terri E.

Leanne said...

From one Leanne to another... gorgeous card!

Stamp and Smile said...

Such an AWESOME idea LeAnne to use the scallop oval punch this way!! I love it and such a gorgeous card to boot... Smiles! :)